Latest publications

Extreme weather events present fresh challenges for the New Zealand economy - Quarterly Predictions, March 2023

New Zealand Institute of Economic Research (Inc) Media Release, Read more

Four ways to improve climate change policy and why - NZIER Insight 106

Climate change is becoming more apparent in the recent succession of major adverse weather events, and New Zealand’s policy on climate change has also stepped up a gear after decades of apparently minimal activity. Looking at the nature of the climate change challenge, the economics o … Read more

Shadow Board recommends the Reserve Bank increases the OCR by 50 basis points in February

Shadow Board members recommend that the Reserve Bank continue increasing the Official Cash Rate (OCR). The broad view was a 50 basis-points increase in the OCR at the Reserve Bank’s February meeting, given inflation pressures in the New Zealand economy remain strong. Only one member r … Read more

Brewing in New Zealand: The economic contribution of the brewing industry in 2022

The New Zealand brewing industry is valued at $3.3 billion in the year to September 2022. On-licence sales account for 64% of the estimated value of $2.1 billion, and off-licence sales account for the remaining 36% at $1.2 billion. Read more

Subscribe to receive our newsletters